Friday, March 30, 2018
Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Thursday, February 15, 2018
I sort of have the week-off....and so I'm using it the way I want...I'm sewing and quilting.
My String Stars are on the long arm...and Little Man is doing his best to help me (not) get this finished quickly...
I had the Quilt Chicks over Tuesday to sew. We had a great time. Lots of sewing, and lots of idea sharing. All that sharing made it difficult to go to sleep that night. So, after laying in bed at 11:30 and being unable to fall asleep, I put my slippers on and ran down to the basement. I found a bin of fabrics, ran them through the studio cutter with the 3.5" die, and then went back to bed less than 30 minutes later.
So I woke up and started sewing this charity project immediately, sewing all those strips together end to end....
But not without some assistance...
And cutting them into 44" strips
Which I laid out before I had to leave to meet friends for dinner. I did not expect to return home to them looking this tidy...but the cats only disturbed one row!
I got up early again this morning and got right to sewing.
And got this little top put together!
Inspections were made. Approvals were granted.
I'm waiting till nap time to head back down to the long arm...the cat's nap time, that is.
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
A project that has been sitting, abandoned and in a deep, rarely opened closet since 2014 has resurfaced and been reworked.
Despite roadblocks to progress:
And Frequent Inspections:
I managed to assemble this:
The pieces are from a Bonnie Hunter pattern that went awry.
Unit sizes that didn't work out, due in part to some very bad cutting on my part, caused me to give up.
I uncovered the bin that the project was hiding in this past weekend and decided that I would work on it as my Superbowl project.
I never bothered to turn on the game but I did sew away all day and had a wonderful time.
(I am aware of the mistake in the border and will be picking that apart today)
I'm looking forward to getting this quilted and enjoying it for awhile before it gets donated.
Tuesday, February 6, 2018
Thursday, February 1, 2018
I learned something new this past week.
I had The Fine Lines Project sewn together, quilted and ready to finish, but I wanted to do something other than a traditional binding.
I did some searching and found a couple tutorials on Facing A Quilt.
One of the most simple and straight forward tutorials I found was from Joe Cunningham.
I had a smaller project that I wanted to practice on...I also tried out the idea of folded corners on the backside so that I could hang these quilts simply from a wood slat, dowel or ruler.
Holy Cat Hair!
This shows the facings on the backside and the corners for holding whatever I choose to hang it with.
Little Girl inspecting the backside of The Fine Lines Project. I suspect she would like to add just a little more cat hair to the composition...
Little Girl and Little Man inspecting the top side before trimming and facing....
25.5" x 34.5"
I like that clean finished edge on this quilt, and it was super simple to do. It just required quite a bit of steam and pressing to get it to be smooth and flat.
I'm looking forward to getting the hand stitching done and then I'll find a place to hang this!